Holloway House was first established in 1808 when the local
blacksmith, Peter Holloway, saw a need for a wayside tavern
in East Bloomfield. Wagons were pushing toward the expanding
west, and the needs of travelers were many and comforts were
few. Many stage coach lines made stops at "Holloway's
were served, with the cooking done in the basement in a large
open fireplace with a Dutch oven. This fireplace, complete
with the original crane from the cellar, has been reconstructed
of old handmade bricks from Ontario County. Weary travelers
could rest on wide benches near the four open fireplaces,
and wait for the stage coach driver to change horses. Presently
the floors are covered with rugs, but underneath are the original
wide oak pegged floor boards. The sitting room floor had the
outline of a circular bar.
The Holloway House has enjoyed many years of serving the public.
After being owned for many years by the Munson family, it
was operated by Mr. and Mrs. Frank Munson as "Locust
Lawn" from 1910 to about 1929. Dinners were by reservation,
and chauffeurs waited while their employers partook of an
elegant squab dinner. The Seel family in 1939 renamed it the
"Holloway House" and set it upon it's present course
of serving fine food in a Colonial atmosphere.
We gladly sell our homemade breads & pies
Please call ahead our Killarney Kress is also available for sale